The leftward and other blatherings of Span (now with Snaps!)

Wednesday, August 30, 2006

A new lease on life - Part II

And here comes another post about the wonderfulness of the new new Doctor Who...

(The first, which examines Eccleston as the dark and Tennant as the light, can be found here.)

2. I wasn't sure about this young David guy at first. I really liked Eccleston's Doctor and was sad to see him go. I'd also erroneously heard that Eccleston had found out he'd been rejuvenated by media statement so I felt offended on his behalf and thus grumpy about the new guy. But what really sold me on Tennant was the Arthur Dent homage in an early episode. I know he didn't write it, but he carried it off. Any show that recognises the existence of other cult series, particularly one written by another Doctor Who writer, is all good. Similar good things from the casting of Anthony Head as an alien mastermind in another episode.

8 comments:

Idiot/Savant said...

Not really related to the point of this post, but you just wait till you get to the glory that is "The Impossible Planet" / "The Satan Pit". The Tennant / Piper partnership really sparks...

Span said...

I saw part two of the Satan Pit when I was in the UK - it was the first time I'd seen the new new Doctor and I wasn't wholly convinced at the time, partly because I was still harbouring my misapprehension about Eccleston's departure, as mentioned in the post. It was a cracker episode though.

I accidentally bought tickets to a movie for tonight - I thought it was on Wednesday night. Now I have to make a choice...

Mel Archer said...

The shows over in the UK at the moment. Waiting with baited breath for the new series and the new characters ; - ). They replayed The Satan Pit over the weekend (Dr Who madness!) - I do think the Tennant / Piper pairing has a lot more spark.

Josh said...

With this season, they really seem to be emphasizing the lonliness of the Doctor. This doctor's slightly manic humour seems like a "tears of the clown" attitude. Not dark, but definnitely sad.

Span said...

I have to geekily admit that watching an episode of the new new Dr Who in a B&B in Salisbury during my recent mini OE was one of the most elating hours of the whole trip - I was practically bouncing off the walls.

As to the Dr's loneliness, I think that's a good point Josh. It's as if they've really come back with an intention to explore the character of the Dr himself in a great deal of depth, which is great.

Does anyone else think these Doctors are getting younger?

Perhaps I am just getting older ;-P

Idiot/Savant said...

Josh: this season's catchphrase is "the lonely god", you know...

Josh said...

I/S: Exactly - or "lonely angel" as Madame de Pompadour called him.

Supposedly the thing that the Face of Boe is going to tell the Doctor at their final meeting is a four word message - my money's on "You are not alone".

Span said...

Oh oh how about a Star Wars reference!

"There is a nother"

(Yeah yeah, not four words, but worth a try)

Is it just me or did my geek quotient just go through the roof?