The leftward and other blatherings of Span (now with Snaps!)

Sunday, July 29, 2007

A McEnroe Moment*

Sometimes, on the inter tubes, you find something that you just don't think can possible be serious. For example, Josh at Brain Stab alerted me to this discussion about whether women "girls" can/should play rugby at NZ Conservative. It depressed me, because sadly I know that many of the participants are serious about their views of women (and men) and how limited we supposedly all are in our neat little gender boxes.**

For the record I wanted to play rugger as a girl - in primary school I did play briefly, although it was a sanitised little kids version. I never thought it odd that we had mixed teams for our mock World Cup, at least until I got to intermediate where the only winter sports options were netball or hockey. I wasn't the only girl in my age group to express an interest in playing rugby, but we knew it was hopeless to try. I understand that very same girls' school does offer it now, which is great. Anything that encourages them to think outside the concept that Netball Is All is a good thing.

It's also worth pondering this - the NZ Women's rugby team, known as the Black Ferns, have won the last three World Cups. Unlike certain other national NZ rugby teams I could name...

And here's another site inspiring disbelief, in a much more cheering manner. Pantalaine supplies (or supplied, or perhaps pretends to supply) some rather odd clothing such as this fetching top:



Don't say I never bring you anything weird from the interwab.

* As in "you cannot be serious!" After writing this post yesterday, but not posting it, I had a dream last night where I was going to be in a doubles team with McEnroe. Sadly we never ended up actually playing cos I had to go off and do other important dream things, but I'm sure we would have kicked arse.
** Any colour you like, as long as they are pink OR blue as determined by the absence of possession of a Y in your chromosomnal makeup.

3 comments:

Moz said...

I love how the "sweetheart sweatshirt" only has one arm-hole in the middle. It still beats an XXXXXL sweatshirt with no arm-hole in the middle, though.

Span said...

I think it must have another armhole at the back, cos all four arms are in evidence...

Cheezy said...

That rugby discussion over at NZTory was hilarious. Yet another example of the reactionary mind trying to defend comments for which there is no logical defence! I never get bored of reading stuff like that.