The leftward and other blatherings of Span (now with Snaps!)

Saturday, April 02, 2005

why me? (the meme is catching)

For some strange reason Richard from Philosophy, etc has stuck me with a meme. What more can I do, as a robot to my selfish genes (anthro in-joke folks), but obey...

1) You're stuck inside Fahrenheit 451 (explanation) which book do you want to be?
The Edmonds Food for Flatters Cookbook. After a generation or two we'd need to spice up the food memes a bit no doubt.


2) Have you ever had a crush on a fictional character?
Yes and it's very embarassing. Rupert from Polo etc (Jilly Cooper is the queen of readable trash). But my excuse is that I was a teenager and all the guys around me were just so ridiculously juvenile. And I was at that age where the idea of converting a sexy Tory was quite appealing. Just to balance things up I also had a crush on his nemesis, but the fact that I can't remember his name tends to suggest that it was Rupert who really held my affections. Just as well he's not real, I'm sure we would have loathed each other and been incredibly dysfunctional.


3) The last book you bought is:
The Red Tent by Anita Diamant - a gift for a sick friend and one of my favourite books.


4) The last book you finished is?
The Subtle Knife (His Dark Materials Book II) by Phillip Pullman - currently trying to read the third book, The Amber Spyglass, every chance I get. Damn that man is good. Why did it take me so long to listen to everyone and start reading him?


5) What are you currently reading?
Oops, see 4. I'm just so excited about this series though that I'm happy to rave about it a little more in this question too.


6) Five Books you would take to a deserted island:
Lord of the Rings by Tolkien - the only chance that I might actually read those stupid poem bits.

The Moon Is A Harsh Mistress by Robert Heinlein - but only if I could also take a pad of paper, pens and a highlighter.

An Instance of the Fingerpost by Ian Pears - fantastic book. Good length. Lots of tricky bits. Would benefit from reading several times in succession.

the bone people by Keri Hulme - been meaning to read it since forever and again it's nice and long. Plus I really ought to have something kiwi in my backpack.

The Bible by various authors - always thought that if I could actually get past the genealogical hurdle near the start it might explain a lot about Christians. Plus I need a back-up in case I run out of toilet rolls and you can get copies that are printed on lovely soft paper.


7) Who are you going to pass this stick to (3 persons) and why?
Make Tea Not War - because (ex) librarians need to stick together

Xavier at About Town - because he will have suitably worthy picks to rival Richard's (unlike me)

Jarrod at First Against The Wall - because his answers will probably be vaguely amusing. And it will distract him from my cat for a little while.

3 comments:

Amanda said...

The Amber Spyglass is not as good as the other two, I thought.

Span said...

Well I'm half way through it as and it's not as gripping I think. The story is a bit murkier and all this world swapping is a bit annoying. But otherwise it's all good :-)

Span said...

damn you were right, it's not as good. lots of unanswered questions which tend me to believe that Pullman wasn't sure how to wrap things up :-( but the trashy novel i'm reading now is almost painful to read after such good writing.