In honour of the release of the fifth film (Order of the Phoenix), and of course the impending arrival of the seventh book (The Deathly Hallows), here is an open thread for us all to dispute and discourse.
- Webweaver on her plans to avoid finding out the final ending for Harry Potter and his friends prematurely.
- Reviews/comments on HP and the Order of the Phoenix (film) from Maia, Make Tea Not War, and Phantom Scribbler.
- Ghet tangentially mentions both the movie and the procuring of costumes for the Deathly Hallows launch this weekend.
- Apathy Jack riffs on books and clears up my own misunderstanding about what I assumed was his dislike of the Potter books, but is in fact a dislike of adults pretending they aren't children's books to justify reading them once past the age of 14.
- The last HP and the Open Thread that I did, way back in July 2005 after the release of Messr Potter and the Half-Blood Prince.
BrownWatson* (Hermione) outs herself as a feminist.
Maia has given some predictions in her review post about how the story will end. Mine are:
- Harry dies but is not a horcrux.
- Snape isn't evil and Dumbledore was pleading with him to kill him, and stop Draco from doing it. (Here I agree with Maia.)
- Draco will ultimately wimp out of doing something really bad and be redeemed.
- Sirius somehow comes back, but in some not fully alive way.
- All the little relationships amongst the kids that are being lined up hopefully don't get tied up at the end. It's just not realistic for everyone to find their life partner at high school!
Ok folks, what do you reckon?
* Ooopsie, thanks Cathi for the correction