The leftward and other blatherings of Span (now with Snaps!)

Sunday, June 25, 2006

i believe Louise Nicholas

I was away when the verdict was delivered, and Maia has covered it all very well elsewhere, but now that I'm back in NZ and back blogging, I just wanted to state my opinion briefly.

I believe the nail in the coffin (which is exactly what it must have felt like for Louise Nicholas) was the disclosure that she had previously made an accusation of rape and the defendant had been acquitted. That Nicholas' legal history, in regard to rape, was allowed, but that of the defendants was not, disgusts and frustrates me.

I'm glad I was overseas when the verdict came in, because if I'd been here I might have said and done all sorts of things, wise and unwise.

How many women will not come forward now because of the ordeal Louise Nicholas faced? To me, she is a hero.

No comments: