The leftward and other blatherings of Span (now with Snaps!)

Thursday, January 13, 2005

bringing them home

I've been musing a bit on the victims of the tsunami and how many of the foreigners are being taken home for burial and the like.

I have to say if it were me I would have absolutely no problem whatsoever with being cremated on the spot and my ashes sent home, or even just buried wherever, especially in that kind of public health crisis. I would like my identity to be verified, if practicable, and I would like my grave marked, if possible, but that's it.

This may seem a bit harsh on the family, but really do they need to see my dead body, especially if it is damaged or decomposing? I have had a lot of friends and family die so far, for someone my age, and I have never seen a dead body (except on telly) and I didn't need to see their bodies to believe they were gone, or deal to with their death.

After all, aren't our bodies just shells after our death? Couldn't we put those resources to better use helping the living in the aftermath of a crisis like this?

1 comment:

Span said...

I think it is important that people are identified, as much as possible - families need to know that their loved ones are confirmed as dead, not still missing. i imagine the absolute worst thing would be not knowing.