The leftward and other blatherings of Span (now with Snaps!)

Friday, January 07, 2005

pay-to-vote

There are some very strange ads on Solid Gold FM in Auckland these days.

I don't listen to 93.4 often, but recently I have almost always heard these strange little messages asking me what my opinion is on various justice issues, in particular around prisoner compensation.

But to voice this opinion I have to call an 0900 number. (See my previous rantings on the spurious value of 0900 polls for why I won't be doing that.)

And which organisation is conducting this poll?

The Sensible Sentencing Trust.

If the Sensible Sentencing Trust wants to fundraise then they should be open and transparent about it. Doing it through a phone-in poll of absolutely no value except as a form of revenue is disingenous.

(Humph - I think 2005 may be My Year Of Grumpiness)

1 comment:

Rich said...

And they spammed my fax machine (see http://observationz.blogspot.com/2004/09/sensible-sentencing.html). Personally I consider that to be theft (of paper and toner).