The leftward and other blatherings of Span (now with Snaps!)

Monday, January 03, 2005

that time of year part II - my resolutions

Ok this is the one with the actual resolutions for 2005, after a bit of reflection.

It mostly boils down to Stop Doing Things That Are Bad For Me/Start Doing Things That Are Good For Me.

1. Get a new job in the area I want to work in - to start by end March. One job application already submitted, plus one other job offer to currently consider.
Reward: some sparkly roller skates

2. Exercise more - two major efforts a week, plus a bike ride a day whenever fine. Tennis once a week is currently going well, and swimming will be added in once a) my ears heal and b) I get some togs that fit.
Reward: looking and feeling better and being able to walk up hills!

3. Think positive - a daily effort, to be aided by some specific activities that I am going to be vague about.
Reward: being easier to live with and happier

4. Resist over-committing - at work and in politics. Just because I am going to have actual free time again from March doesn't mean I have to use it all up (repeat often).
Reward: more leisure time, specifically for mini-breaks in June and September (post-election).

5. Get at least one stamp in my shiny unused passport - should happen in mid Feb, fingers crossed.
Reward: A strange object from each place to bring home for The House.

6. Finish the kitchen - by the end of the year need to: get ugly tiles removed, get walls plastered, get benchtop and taps installed, put in new not-ugly tiles, rip up lino. paint walls and ceiling, polish floors, consider new handles, do something about the damn table and chairs, put microwave box thing back up, get new light fittings. Considering we started* the kitchen just after we moved in, and have been here nearly two years, I think 2005 must be The Year of the Kitchen. Or it would be if it wasn't Election Year.
Reward: Nice artwork for the kitchen.

* started = stripped the incredibly hideous bamboo wallpaper and took all the bits off the walls

7. Get up to date with my Alliance projects - time to clear the decks, so that I can actually carry out 4.
Reward: Being able to volunteer for new projects in the future.

Righto, seven seems like a nice, lucky number. But I'm sure I'll think of something else.

Update: Here's the Technorati list of bloggers' new year's resolutions.

1 comment:

Span said...

well my exercise ambitions didn't go so well yesterday but i did do a lot of walking (shopping is so tiring)

but i started again today - 90 minutes of tennis against a quite well matched partner, so lots of running around.

i think my idea of riding my bike every day it's fine is a bit much really. perhaps a bike ride four days a week instead...