The leftward and other blatherings of Span (now with Snaps!)

Friday, January 07, 2005

tennis in tel aviv

I had lunch yesterday with a guy who spent several years living in Israel as a teen and young adult.

We didn't talk about the Occupation, or anything like that, although I know he's ethnically Jewish and sympathetic to the Palestinians.

We talked about tennis.

I guess I was surprised when I shouldn't have been. I was surprised that it was possible, in Israel, to have similar experiences to a teen in Aotearoa NZ, despite everything.

Perhaps when I've travelled more I'll make less stupid assumptions about what life is like in other places.

1 comment:

Asher said...

If the person lived in TA, then chances are high that he would've been living as close to a "normal western life" as anyone in Israel - It's one of very few places where you can live a secular lifestyle relatively free of blatantly obvious issues (other than bombings, of course).

Incidentally, if he's Jewish (and a lefty), theres a fairly high chance that I know him.