The leftward and other blatherings of Span (now with Snaps!)

Sunday, November 21, 2004

how many bloggers does it take to screw in a lightbulb?

last night was a bit weird - went to a party at which there were at least seven fellow bloggers:

- Ben from Dog Biting Men
- Constar (who I castigated for being a bloghog, due to his cross postings on About Town)
- Xavier, Kate, Conor and Tristan (the party host) from the aforementioned About Town
- Oliver of the possibly temporarily named Philosophically Made (who at one point I accidentally confused with Matt Oliver from Random Contributionz)
- Tony from Wilson's World and Wilson's Washington

I wouldn't have been surprised if Isaac of November 9 fame wombled along too, but I had to leave early. I was looking forward to meeting Stephen Cooper, also from Philosophically Made, but he didn't seem to be in evidence.

It was a bit surreal - I was reminded of Kim Hill's interview with Peter Jackson on her last Nine to Noon show. Kim asked Peter what it was like going to those Hollywood awards parties, and he talked about how everyone said "love your work" and you never knew whether they were sincere or not. You would only know if you had fallen from favour when it was too late, when people just ignored your existence.

At this point those of us at the party were all too new to blogging to be able to afford to cut each other (links being blog oxygen after all), but is that the future of blogger get-togethers? In a year's time will those of us still in the blogosphere spurn those who are not?

I doubt it - I think this blogging biz is a fad amongst the young politicos which will fade after the next election, if not before. We will all become far too busy with real life, and only those with a true addiction, and probably a job that allows work-time blogging, will remain. Survival of the fittest? Or survival of the geekiest?

11 comments:

Idiot/Savant said...

At least I'm still "imaginary"..

Span said...

actually most of them I had met already - although Constar and the About Towners didn't realise I was in fact someone they knew IRL until a couple of days ago - I thought I was bloody obvious!

Oliver was really the only one I hadn't met before, it really is a small world in the Auckland left.

Stephanie said...

ohhh no fun I couldn't joing

Span said...

Yes stef there were a few people who i figured would have logically been there, had they been in town; yourself, Mr Carter, possibly Jules from Generation Y Not too.

you might also be interested to know that Daryl got married yesterday - Tony had come straight from the reception.

Stephanie said...

haha. maybe have a reunion in dec/jan when I'm town. As for all this marrying business, far too much of it for my liking. I think we are growing up too fast.

Matt said...

To answer the riddle: one to do the template, one to post, and twenty-nine to comment on the quality of the shade or debate the validity of the lightbulb's position.

I have a nasty suspicion that blogging is a fad. It's a pity, because I only just feel like there is a tangible community, and I'm just coming to terms with the dynamics and alliances...

A blogger party? Now I've heard it all. Hehe!


When's the next one?

T said...

for the record...
it was "NOT" a blog party

For may flatmates it was a labour get togeather for me it was a grey lynn fest. after party.

For everyone there is was an excuse to eat and drink (you should all know about my bbq by now)

thank you :)

Span said...

yes, Tristan is absolutely right, sorry if i gave anyone the impression it was some kind of elite blog party. the non-bloggers well out numbered us (although no doubt we will convert more of them soon) ;-)

Stef - don't know if you heard but Beth and Anthony are back in mid Dec to also get hitched - Sarah L and I have been talking about organising a get together when they are back - will you be here around the same time? Maybe we should talk about this on email?

Stephanie said...

I'll be back Dec 23-Jan 12. I'm in wellington over new years though and I'm planning on taking my american friend down to Rotorua for a day or so. As I gotta do the touristy crap while I'm down under.

Span said...

yes we bloggers are in fact taking over the universe, one webpage at a time...

Stef - i think the night Sarah suggested was Dec 17th, so no dice, sorry. Would be really keen to catch up in early Jan though, even if it's just you, me, the Man in the Comfy Chair and some hot chocs.

Moneo said...

Yeah, I was going to go but then I never told work that I wanted the day off, and I need money anyway now, so I worked instead.