The leftward and other blatherings of Span (now with Snaps!)

Wednesday, November 24, 2004

this sounds like a very bad idea

So the Government is considering legislation to grab the assets of people that they can't prove have done wrong. This is the kind of draconian stuff I'd expect from National, not Labour, although Goff is not known for his strong stance on civil liberties.

I was particularly concerned when I heard on a news report that this could net the Government an extra $20M - it reminded me of Caligula's naked money grabs, and while I'm sure this is a side effect rather than the primary intention, it still points to a strong temptation for future governments.

What ever happened to innocent until proven guilty?

Other bloggers on this:
- Kiwi Pundit - "The phrase 'criminals who had been acquitted of criminal charges' is so perfectly Orwellian it really deserves some kind of award." (scroll down to read)
- Rodders accuses Goff of recreating an old form of injustice
- Gaz at IHS is not happy with the Govt or National.

(bit concerning that the posts i've found about this so far seem to be mainly from the right...)

Update: there are now several more posts on this, including one from IS that I missed the first time, see the comments for links

4 comments:

Idiot/Savant said...

My own spleen-vent is here.

The government's increasingly hostile attitude to fundamental human rights concerns me. They seem willing to trample anything to appear "tough on crime". But what really scares me is that National is worse.

Fortunately, I have options. Unless the government markedly changes its stance in this area, and repudiates its policies on asset seizures, prisoner compensation and the identities bill, I will be voting for another left-wing party.

Xavier: if you're worried, let them know. They won't change policies unless they think it will cost them votes.

Span said...

Sorry IS, I knew I'd seen a post by you on it, and was actively looking for it, but couldn't find it at the time (I kept getting distracted by your lovely CUB email list I think).

Good to see some sane Labour people in the 'hood :-)

Asher said...

The majority of young Labour people I've met, read blogs from or heard about appear to be very much on the left of Labour - could we then see, over the coming decade, a shift in Labour's vision towards the left as Goff et al begin to contemplate retirement and new blood comes up through the ranks?

That would certainly be a positive step.

Span said...

I suspect that YL generally do tend to be Labour Left - but remember that not all Labour MPs come from this route. Some come via unions, electorate machines, other sector groups, are approached because of their high profile in public life, and many don't start agitating for promotion until later in life.

Also there are some right wingers in YL too - although I would say they are generally outnumbered. Plus there are some in YL who I would say have "no politics" - ie they want to be politically active and are ambitious, but would probably be just as comfortable in National as in Labour, possibly in the minor centrist parties too. They are in Labour due to accident or birth, and that's where they will probably stay, but they don't have a strong commitment to any particular brand of politics.