The leftward and other blatherings of Span (now with Snaps!)

Friday, November 26, 2004

off to the windy city

The National Alliance Conference is on this weekend in Welly and I fly off tonight, back Sunday night. Should be an interesting experience - I didn't go last year, but did got the previous three years, with 2001 being the highlight, due to the passing of a number of remits that Staunch Alliance (the youth wing) lobbied hard for (in particular a remit around decriminalisation of marijuana) and the Afghanistan debate.

This year we face important decisions about the future of the party, and there are a number of practical workshops on the agenda, aimed at actually doing work on rebuilding the Alliance, rather than just talking about it.

I doubt we'll get any media coverage, which doesn't overly bother me. In a lot of ways this is a conference to regroup and as such is of little interest to outsiders.

I hope to return invigorated and not overloaded with too much stuff to do.

5 comments:

Asher said...

Have fun, hope all is productive.
Oh, and reply to my email, please.

Span said...

Thanks Asher.

Sorry, but I haven't received an email from you... Could you please send it again? spannergrrl@hotmail.com (note two r's, no i in spannergrrl) (although I probably won't be able to check it before Monday night now)

Asher said...

Email sent...have a good conference.

Stephanie said...

Good luck, you have a mammoth job infront of you.

Span said...

Yep it is a big job, being part of it is exciting and daunting at the same time.

Right now I am really snowed under between work and personal commitments, plus I just took on some huge Alliance related vollie work, so it's going to be a few days before I can report back properly.

At this point I'm still exhausted from taking the minutes all weekend!

But I'm thinking about that saying, which I'll probably get slightly wrong:
If not me, who?