The leftward and other blatherings of Span (now with Snaps!)

Friday, November 19, 2004

on a razor's edge

Further to this in this morning's Herald

A complaint was made by Dr E. Langton, who said the advert was offensive to all doctors and patients.

The advert shows an attractive female doctor entering a hospital waiting room where two male patients are waiting. The doctor chooses to examine the patient who is cleanly shaved and touches his face in a suggestive manner.

Dr Langton said it was against medical ethical principles for a doctor to make sexual advances towards a patient.


I wonder what might have happened had the "doctor" been a man...

5 comments:

Aaron Bhatnagar said...

It would depend on whether the patient was Carson Kressley.

Matt said...

I wondered that too Aaron, but on second thoughts I wondered then whether that stems from an unconscious gut reaction to homosexuality: a gay doctor would be more likely to corrupt himself and his/her principles than a straight doctor?

My primary thought was actually that you were referring to a male doctor/female patient scenario Span. In which case would they be advertising the same shaver? No doubt they'd also be facing a complaint from victims of sexual harassment by medical professionals.

Anonymous said...

I did mean the gay scenario, but good point Matt - although I think it might have been too contrived to have the male doctor reach down and test the female patients' legs ;-)

I think the difference if a well-known gay patient had been used, with a male doctor, it wouldn't have been so "scary", ie the reaction from the patient wouldn't have been disgust or anything, and thus the audience watching wouldn't have been discomforted.

straight edge razor said...


Thanks for the post. I had been looking for something
related and found your web site in the process.. I will definitely be back for more.

organic-food said...


organic-food
I can`t make that rally (Jean)....I don`t need any information on the HST, perhaps I can attend a future rally, I did partake in last night`s phone town hall meeting with Adrian..