The leftward and other blatherings of Span (now with Snaps!)

Tuesday, November 02, 2004

wishful voting

Many bloggers have linked to Betavote.com - where non-US citizens can have a vote for US President (seeing as how we all feel so frustrated at our disenfranchisement at the election of a leader of another democracy).

But I noticed that Betavote doesn't include any candidates other than Bush or Kerry, in particular Nader. Not that I'm saying I would vote for Nader (although I suspect I would find it hard to vote for Kerry I still would in the current situation) but it might make things (even) more interesting if it were a three horse race - would Kerry lose votes overseas or would Nader garner votes from those who would otherwise click on to the next website in disgust rather than vote for the lesser of two evils?

Anyway there is a poll on the Alliance website which does include Nader so those who want to exercise their totally futile and unconstitutional right to vote for someone else's president could always try that too - last I checked Nader was ahead 75% to Kerry's 25% (and no votes for Bush).

2 comments:

Asher said...

Nader is a joke, a pure egotist, running for no other reason than to boost his own pompous ego. Just look at which party endorsed him!

If I was an American, I would not be voting Kerry, but neither would I be voting Nader. I would vote for David Cobb, the candidate for the Greens.

Span said...

i guess this is where my ignorance about US politics rears its ugly head - while i wouldn't vote Nader for the exact reasons you give i would be stuck at war between heart and head over whether to vote for Kerry or my next choice (not sure who that would be as I don't know enough about the other candidates). but I guess as I'm not a US citizen it doesn't matter at all.

incidentally the Alliance poll now has Bush on 12%, Kerry on 48% and Nader on 40%. i think it will be replaced tomorrow.