The leftward and other blatherings of Span (now with Snaps!)

Monday, December 06, 2004

becoming a betrayer

Apparently I am now a betrayer. I managed this transition back in February, but I've only just found out about my change in status. I'm sure that I was probably only a turncoat for the first few months, but recent months have resulted in my label being upgraded to full-on traitor.

It's all a bit emotive and silly really - it reminds me strongly of student politics. I guess I just thought that adults would actually be adult about things!

6 comments:

Stephanie said...

It appears I've missed something...

Aaron Bhatnagar said...

Whom did you "betray"? Someone on the Alliance exec? Friend or family? It just seems a little bizarre without a little more detail. Sorry if you have been upset as a result.

Span said...

Fascinating speculations folks!

Sorry to be so obtuse.

Basically it's part union, part Alliance, part plain weird, and I just wanted to blat about it because I was somewhat surprised that people felt so strongly about it when I hadn't worked with them for nearly 18 months, but I seem to have been demonised to allow someone else to avoid scrutiny.

That probably doesn't make things any clearer, but it defies simple summation (I tried originally when I wrote my post, but just couldn't). I think I will post more about the underlying issues soon.

Aaron Bhatnagar said...

Hah! Politics and Work!

I can empathise with the political part - When ACT was the Church of Roger Douglas in the late 1990s, it was NOT the done thing to suggest that "Unfinished Business", written in 1993, was irrelevant because 99% of the voting public in 1999 didn't want it. Some truths hit hard.

Span said...

Yes it's fascinating how often individuals get virtually deified (and also demonised) in political parties. Even in parties who have made that mistake before...

Stephanie said...

damn you're no fun. just a wiff of gossip.