The leftward and other blatherings of Span (now with Snaps!)

Friday, December 24, 2004

halleluyah

We had our last hurrah for work today - went to Canton Cafe in Kingsland for our regular Friday lunch, as we have so often over the last year. But this time was different - instead of all going back to work, or on to appointments, we went out separate ways after paying the bill and loafing around for a few minutes.

For some strange reason it felt like I was never going to see these people again.

About half of those who were at lunch will be back at work, along with me, on Wednesday. The rest will return early in the new year.

But I just had this sudden sense of loss, something about a moment in time that had slipped away and couldn't be regained. I felt bereft.

When I got in the car they had just started playing the Jeff Buckley version of Halleluyah and as I drove off down New North Rd I had the sense I was in one of those telly shows that have used this song so much in 2004. That we were all driving off, to our very different families and our very different Xmases, listening to this song and singing along to the bits we knew, while the camera chopped and changed between shots of us all.

I fulfilled my character's stereotype by shedding a tear.

No comments: