The leftward and other blatherings of Span (now with Snaps!)

Thursday, December 30, 2004

when you really really don't want to go to sleep...

you find the oddest ways to procrastinate.

My current jag is googling the Names Of People I Used To Know. Kind of the stalker version of an ego-search. I'm not going to do anything with the information except muse over it - I just often get a curious itch about how people turned out and tonight I would much rather scratch that than go to sleep, an activity which invariably seems to finish off with waking up and getting up and going to work. And we all know that the three words at the end of that sentence must be avoided at all costs.

So what have I turned up?

Without naming names (I am the soul of discretion you see) we have, in no particular order:

- a part-owner of a now reasonably large ISP (and to think I remember when he broke his arm after some drunken table top dancing - guess it must have healed ok)
- a fellow blogger who is On A Break (from his blog, dear readers)
- an ice hockey player (who may have also be a top British water skiier, although that seems unlikely)
- a solo guitarist (now recording in Nashville after much travelling)
- a person of undiscoverable employ who appears to do a lot of long distance running (I guess someone must do all that long distance running, damned if I thought I knew any of those types myself though)
- a witness in a coroner's inquest (into the death of a young man in a famous building)
- a recipent of a PM's Scholarship for Architecture (although most of his hits were for sports related things, go figure)
- a top accordionist (pays the bills via her doctor's salary, no less)
- a biochemist (rapidly becoming an expert in atherosclerosis, don't you know)
- some kind of marketing account manager type (not a big surprise)
- a graduate of the DMA with a certificate in eMarketing (note: small e, big M)

The women are much harder to find than the men - I have few clues (i.e. none) about their married names, but some people just don't appear to have any kind of internet life at all - what the hell is wrong with them? One of these absences is highly surprising - a promising young actor when I knew him, he recently showed up in a Tegel ad, but I can't find him anywhere in the interweb thingy. Of course I could be spelling his name wrong.

and to round it off, for those who know him, I am sure this cannot be the only link on google for Paul Schiska. Another spelling mistake on my part, surely?

Alrighty, time for bed - you can only faff around for so long before your body rebels and starts falling asleep without you.

3 comments:

Blair said...

I think you'll find it's spelt Schischka. If you look it up, you will find lots of community board reports out west with his name on them - he works for Waitakere Council

Span said...

thanks Whiggy

The weirdest thing i found was that one of the people i searched for is the namesake of someone who died very oddly in the USA and whose death was thus reported far and wide. Something about carking ir whilst cleaning his own tombstone. Macabre.

bob said...

Thanks for this amazing article on SPANBLATHER I was Just searching for water heater repair and found this amazing website of yours.