The leftward and other blatherings of Span (now with Snaps!)

Tuesday, December 14, 2004

speaker surprise

Just read on DPF's blog that Margaret Wilson is to be the next speaker. Quite surprised really - I had heard that Burton was the likely successor, although other sources were saying King.

The speculation about who will step up to Attorney General is interesting too - my money is on Dalziel - she is ready for rehabilitation and must be pushing for a return to favour.

I'm wondering if Wilson may be thinking of getting out of politics in 2008 - her health has been poor this year and she seems to achieved a lot of the things on her shopping list. Speaker could be her swan song. Having been a law lecturer I'm sure she will be able to control the House.

Or is Helen thinking of giving the Speakership to a coalition partner after the 2005 election? Anderton as Speaker anyone?

3 comments:

Moneo said...

Everyone was surprised I think.

The word is no one new is going to be in cabinet before the election, so Just Left thinks it will be Michael Cullen.

I don't think Anderton would want speaker, although it might be the trick to boost his profile.

Although he himself must just about be the oldest person in Parliament after Hunt, so how long will he still be around?

Span said...

The Speaker is outside Cabinet aren't they? I was sure they'd have to give up their Ministerial posts - surely you couldn't be speaker and a minister????

I highly doubt it will be Cullen - he's too good and important in the House debates.

Jim wouldn't want to be outside cabinet, but it might appeal if he's on his own in 2005 - something with some prestige to go out with.

Lewis Holden said...

I may have to look into it - It might be possible, but even if that were so I don't think it should be the case. I personally think the Speaker should be elected by a 66% Majority vote in Parliament.